Most people think cosmetic dentistry is all about making yourself look good. But it’s actually much more than that. Cosmetic dentistry can be very important to your oral and overall health, as well as give you a more attractive smile. In reality, the two aspects of our dental health – healthy teeth and a healthy smile – go hand in hand. When teeth are damaged, crooked, missing or otherwise not healthy, cosmetic dentistry is often used to repair or replace them so the reconstructed teeth can do their job in keeping your mouth as healthy as possible.
Cosmetic dentistry is a bridge between two worlds, offering a wide array of treatments that enhance both the functionality and aesthetics of our pearly whites. What exactly does cosmetic dentistry entail? And, is it right for you? We’ve outlined the most common types of cosmetic dental work to help you understand some methods available to help you achieve and keep your uniquely beautiful smile.
Why seek cosmetic dentistry?
But, good health is another reason people turn to cosmetic dentistry. If your cosmetic dentistry is needed for more than aesthetic improvements to your mouth to restore functionality, then the enhanced appearance of your teeth is an added bonus. Bridgework, crowns, and bonding are all methods that increase the strength and use of your teeth, helping restore your teeth and help prevent further degradation of your teeth, gums or bone due to tooth loss. They also happen to be methods that improve the outward appearance of your smile. Getting that crooked teeth straightened helps to prevent gum disease from taking hold among overcrowded teeth and reduces the possibility of tooth loss of that or adjacent teeth due to resulting periodontal disease or tooth decay.
The most common cosmetic dental procedures
- Straightening: Fixing an overbite, crowded teeth, or a gap in your teeth is cosmetic as well as important in the long-term protection of a healthy bite. Straightening teeth is easier today than in the past. Except in some cases, most patients no longer have to deal with metal braces. Many cosmetic dentists use a method such as Invisalign, which offers faster results than traditional straightening methods. And, unlike metal braces, it’s practically invisible. Straightening teeth reduces the chances of bacteria accumulating between teeth that are crooked and too close together which can lead to gum (periodontal) disease. It makes it easier to clean, floss and care for your teeth, and of course improves the look of your smile.
- Teeth whitening: Unattractive stains and blemishes on teeth can be annoying, if not embarrassing. Teeth whitening offers a solution to this common issue. Cosmetic dentists use bleaching solutions that are safer and more effective than in-home solutions. The treatment is carefully customized for you to make sure your smile comes out just right. Teeth whitening by your dentist is the safest and healthiest way to whiten your teeth. Consult your dentist about teeth whitening at home as some products can damage tooth enamel, or cause teeth sensitivity or irritated gums.
- Porcelain veneers: Sometimes staining is permanent, or your teeth experience worn enamel and damage that can’t be easily repaired using other methods. In this case, porcelain veneers offer a unique solution. The custom-made laminates are bonded directly to your imperfect teeth to provide a blemish-free smile. This is a cosmetic treatment to improve the look of your teeth. It is a permanent technique, as your dentist will need to prepare the surface of your natural teeth to hold the veneers in place. If veneers aren’t available, or you aren’t quite ready for that step, cosmetic dentists also offer Snap-on Smile. This method is a temporary or long-term veneer solution that snaps in and out of your mouth like a retainer.
- Fillings, Bridges and Crowns: Dental fillings, crowns and bridges help improve dental health and function and provide cosmetic benefit as well by correcting for damaged teeth. Composite fillings restore tooth decay or cavities, enhancing the appearance and health of your teeth. Similarly, bridges and partials are used to fill a gap where there is a missing tooth. Again, this improves your overall dental health while filling that unattractive gap in your smile. And, these cosmetic treatments also help prevent your jaw and face from changing shape over time due to multiple missing teeth which can make you look older than your age.
- Dental Implants: Implants are the ultimate solution to restoring the look of natural and healthy teeth, and at the same time helping to keep your gums and jaw bone healthy by replacing missing teeth. Dental implants are permanent teeth that are surgically implanted into the jaw. Once they are in place, dental implants look, feel and perform like natural teeth. A set of white, new dental implants can provide you with a beautiful new, healthy smile.
Find the right solution for your smile at Balle & Associates in Las Vegas NV
The best way to find out if cosmetic dental work is right for you is by scheduling a consultation with your local cosmetic dentist. Balle & Associates in Las Vegas offers a full range of cosmetic procedures to help you create your perfect smile. The Balle & Associates team is highly trained and experienced in improving the health and appearance of your smile. Contact Balle & Associates today to set up a consultation and start enjoying a happy, bright new smile.