After a root canal, you may experience sensitivity in your mouth. Therefore, it’s vital you take proper care of your routine and diet for a couple of days. Consuming the wrong foods and liquid can cause pain, damage, and even break the tooth worked on. Ultimately, it may lead to additional treatments or further complications.
More importantly, it’s crucial you avoid eating until your mouth stops feeling numb. Otherwise, you may bite your tongue or crack your tooth. That’s why dentists recommend that patients eat soft and cold foods. Here we’ve compiled a list of healthy yet scrumptious foods you can enjoy after a root canal:
Things You Can and Cannot Eat Instantly After Surgery
Navigating your diet after a root canal can be challenging. Here we’ve made a list of things you can and cannot eat a few hours after the root canal:
- Eat from the other side of your mouth while ensuring the tooth and neighboring ones that have had a root canal aren’t used. If you do so, your stitches and filling won’t remain dry, thus resulting in further complications.
- Eat only soft food that doesn’t require too much chewing. Try to eat slowly and without using a straw. An ice-cream works best.
- Avoid soup, coffee, or anything that’s particularly hot. Instead, drink cold liquids.
What Things Can You After a Root Canal?
Due to the natural sensitivity that follows a root canal, it’s vital you follow a strict diet. Here are things you may eat after a root canal:
- Dairy products like eggs, yogurt, milkshakes, ice cream, and so on require little to no chewing. Thus, they are a good food option to consume after a root canal.
- Softer fruits like peaches, bananas, mangoes, and applesauce are top choices for patients that recently underwent surgery. You may even enjoy a fruit smoothie jam-packed with nutrients.
- Dishes that are soft yet rich in carbohydrates like oatmeal, rice pudding, cream of wheat, quinoa, mildly spiced noodles, and so on are good eating habits.
- Enjoy munching on a healthy dish by selecting soft vegetables. Or you may eat cooked vegetables or mashed cauliflower offered at a lukewarm temperature.
- Start your day with a healthy breakfast like scrambled eggs, yogurt, and so on. Continue by eating a delicious lunch like meatloaf, mashed potatoes, shredded meat, or such.
What Foods and Liquids Should You Avoid After a Root Canal?
Deciding what to eat and what not to eat after a root canal can be tough. Now that you know what foods you can consume, here are things to steer clear of:
- Chewy foods like candy, gum, bread, taffy, and anything that can potentially damage the filing
- Crunchy foods like corn on the cob, carrots, apples, and so on can cause damage or extreme pain.
- Food that is excessively hot or spicy can increase sensitivity, as well as cause discomfort in your tooth.
- Hard food like nuts, ice, and whatnot can both damage the tooth and cause undue pain.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as it may lead to bleeding upon coming in contact with fresh wounds.
Balle& Associates General Dentistry in Las Vegas offers high-quality root canal surgeries. Schedule an appointment today to walk down a healthier and brighter path.